Re: [oc] video processors (was: think different)

> Here is some experiments that I have done in extracting parallelism
> from Self code (a Smalltalk dialect, and the really good language that
> Sun developed ;-):
>
>    http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/tiny.html
great ;) I'll take a look of it.

> > or2k would be very suitable for this. Or2k project was kinda abandoned
> > because arhitecture is too difenent and 2.5Dhrystones/MIPS doesn't
> > balance that for desktop computer. I really think having or2k matrix 4x4
> > and maybe or1k to program it, would be perfect solution for video.
> > AFAIK there is no better processor for lo-res video aplications like you
> > mentioned (and still being special purpose).
>
> If not, you might find them (particularly the last one) interesting as
> sources of inspiration for the Or2K. I would include my own Tachyon CPU
> design in this list, but I haven't finished writing the pages
> describing it yet.
I know my above statement was a bit provocative :) but I believe that VLIWs
and DSPs are more complicated than or2k. I mean - or2k is enough powerful
and enough general purposed to decompress videos, sound, etc and at the
same time much simpler. We calculated, that 3x3 or2k matrix with 8-16k cache
would be on 4mm2 :) And frequency >1GHz would be easably reached.
I think that these things count too.

regards,
    Marko