Re: [oc] silicon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jamie Morken" <jmorken@home.com>
To: <cores@opencores.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 8:35 AM
Subject: [oc] silicon

> Hi all,
>
> from the opencores website:
> "For one year anniversary of OpenCores, we will be making our first
silicon
> chips using our current cores. You still have chance to participate with
> your own core. If you have an idea for a new IP core and would like to
lead
> development efforts and/or design it please send a message to the
> cores@opencores.org mailing list. All ideas are welcome! "
>
> Are you guys really going to do this! :)  What is the expense going to be
> get the cores put into silicon and will these chips be made available to
> purchase?

OK Maybe it is now too late for one year anniversary, but eventually we will
do. Maybe even sooner than later.

> I am also thinking about buying a board from opencores as well as the
Xilinx
> Student edition 2.1i software (good for VHDL up to 50,000gate synthesis on
> the virtex chips I believe?)  from www.xess.com  Does anyone know if this
> supports the Spartan2 chips?

Go with one of the boards from commercial sources. For example Xess corp.
has good xilinx boards, some also come with student package of Foundation
(IIRC).

> I am not sure what boards opencores is still producing but could you
> recommend a good one to buy?

Right now none.

regards,
Damjan