Re: [oc] DPLL

Ok, I am not sure of satellite comunication but I have worked on a wireless
lan.
On 802.11a you have a ~5 GHz carrier with subbands that are the channels.(As
I understand it.)
For receiving the data,
You have to have an analog circuit that senses the signal and begins
modulating the
ADC, gains and VCOs to sync with the signal. There are also FIR firters
there to
do other corrections. (I didn't work on this section but I knew it was a
real pain.)
The digital signal is then fed into a FFT to recover the channels properly.
(There are dummy channels in the 64 spaces.)
A DSP is then usually needed to do proper de-interleaving to the FFT
addresses and then correct for strange error effects by shifting the phase
and adjusting the power of the QPSK constellation data.
You are then ready to do demodulation of the constellations into softbits.
Then de-interleave the data properly to the type of encoding.
Depuncture the data if necessary.
Run it though a Viterbi to correct for bit errors.
The run the data through an LFSR based descrambler.
Then you are ready to send it to a MAC which will check the CRC and then
do more security based descrambling and recover the frames.

I personally don't remember a data bit clock anywhere. Just an extraction of
constellation data
from the FFT's that needed to be corrected and demodulated. We decoded one
frame at a time which filled up the FFT and we just decoded the 54 or so
constellations and waited to receive another frame after we transmitted that
the previous frame looked ok.
I designed the full PHY backend receiver with another guy that included the
FFT, DSP and the MCS (modulation, coding and scrambling) (We designed an
awesome Viterbi for that module that did not need RAMs and put many IP
vendors versions to shame in terms of
latency and size and clock speed.)

Regards,
  Sam