[oc] doubt regarding RS232 interfacing

hello everybody!
        i am working on the altera's SOPC BOARD.
 actually we have made a compression algorithm and now testing on the board. we are using serial port interfacing . using it i have to pass the data file to the fpga where it will we stored in the memory.and agiain after computation i have to read the values from memory to the file in pc side.
  i have wirtten code for the fpga side of RS232 interfacing but i am not clear how to write a  C  code on the pc side .also whether it is required  to use the RST AND CST hand-shaking signal  or not .
  any information about it will be helpful.
                                            thanks

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp