[oc] Industrial IP Cores.

Hello everybody,

I work for a company specialized in CNC system design. Most applications
which I worked on (industrial milling machines with motion control)
were based on Delta Tau Data System Inc. productions (www.delta-tau.com industrial
servo control systems, that are popular in market). Working with these
embedded systems, some other ideas come to my mind.

Evaluating control system structures, product and solutions available in market,
it seams that IP Core and FPGA implementation of standard blocks would be more
efficient solution. The main disadvantage, which i come across using data systems
in our projects, is that servo blocks, DSP gates, Quadrature Decoders, GPIO and MUX ports
are made on ASICS and upgrade is unavailable (only standard interfaces such us USB,
PCI are implemented on FPGA). To increase number of axis, or changing periphery makes
to add or change entire boards. Such systems are expensive because of their set of accessories.
Using FPGA based board there would be much more abilities: the same board could be used
to control either step (DC), or 3-phase AC motors, connecting to host either by PCI or
PC104 (ISA) standard busses.  Besides, there would be ability of restructuring servo cycle,
or to use the same board as PLC controller with flexible set of GPIO or other standard
peripheries. It seams that such kind of boards will be more flexible, and, besides, a new
market of Industrial Systems' IP Cores will appear.

Currently I work on some modules' Verilog models and would like to
know other opinions on this theme.

Thank you,
Manuk Shemsyan,