[oc] Real newbie questions

I am a software/firmware designer by profession, and a electronics hobbyist. I
am trying out some ideas that might be the basis for a new business.

I have never worked with FPGAs, mostly because when read the data sheets, I
just wonder "What is this any good for?"

I recently got Protel DXP, and it gives me the impression I can design
FPGA/CPLD in schematic capturing, and have it output VHDL to make the
FPGA/CPLD.
Question;
1. Is this actually so?
2. How would I know how much can be crammed into a given FPGA?

In particular, I need (and drew that as schematics) a asynchronous 1-bit wide
and 192bit deep FIFO-like circuit. Ironically, only 6pins  + power is
required. How do I go about selecting a device?

Sorry for being "un-educated", but OSS is typically rather "understanding",
and I hope OSH is the same. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Niclas Hedhman