Re: [oc] Inquiry

> I think a company will find a way to contact
> author and get his/her approval, if they think it is worth it.

Good point Marko!  Just because a core is licensed under the
GPL doesn't mean a company cannot negotiate a non-GPL
license with the authors.

In regards to quality of cores, we should look at Debian
a bit more closely.  A couple of years ago, they implemented
a 'quality assurance' program to try and address similar
problems with the Debian project.  They also have an
impressive bug tracking system.  I guess with any QA type stuff,
the problem is finding interested volunteers.

I wonder if it's worth investigating any of the following options:

a) Opencores becomes part of the Debian project.  Debian have
   lots of resources which could benefit Opencores:
   Packaging, Bug tracking, world wide mirroring, GPG key
   network, quality assurance program.  Be aware that Debian
   is very strict on insisting that all parts of the Debian
   project must satisfy their free software guidelines
   and social contract (http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html),
   which allows both GPL and BSD style licenses.

b) Alternatively, opencores stays as it is, but the 'best of
   opencores' gets packaged up and submitted to Debian.
   (along with the 'best of' gEDA and so on)

I like Rudi's idea of keeping a list of 'case studies' of
applications for each core.  If nothing else, it would
be interesting to see to what uses Opencores are being put.

Note that there is nothing stopping anyone from starting
their own rating system.  Anyone is free to construct
a page of links to and comments on various Opencores
projects.

Regards
John