Re: [oc] Verilog coding style for Open Cores-RTL - Case in point SHA1

At 08:43 21/05/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Aloha!
>
>Marco Antonio Simon Dal Poz wrote:
>>I am used to do FPGA hardware design with Verilog and VHDL, and I can't
>>see why Verilog is so better than VHDL. In fact, I see advantages and
>>disadvantages in both sides, so, why Verilog is still dominant?
>
>On purely technical merits, and based on what you want to do (simulation
>model RTL-model for synthesis, GTL representation etc) each language have
>ther pros and cons. And it is more or less a moot point to try and analyze
>why Verilog dominates on purely technical merits. Instead it's IMHO things
>like:

I agree with you about the technical merits. I work usually with VHDL and i
cant compare VHDL-VERILOG deeply. VHDL is very powerfull not only as a
description language synthesis focused but sequential programming
(testbench, simulation, System Design) as well. I suppose that Verilog also
is powerful in those areas, but for investigation purposes VHDL is used
widely (see for example POLIS team [TABB00]    B. Tabbara,  A. Tabbara,  A.
Sangiovanni-Vicentelli, Function / Architecture Optimization and Co-Design
of Embedded Systems, Massachusetts, USA:  Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000. ).

>* Historical. Verilog took off early as a design language. Companies like
>Intel, Cisco, Nortel etc all have built up huge data bases with cores and
>designs based on Verilog. Also these companies have huge setups/design
>flows and experience based on Verilog. All these means that you don't
>switch unless there are very compelling reasons. I.e. lots of money to be
>made. Instead these companies keep investing in Verilog.
>
>* Geographical. Most EDA tool vendors are based in the USA. Most ASIC/FPGA
>and EDA engineers in the USA use Verilog. For this reason, the Verilog
>version of tools are usually released first and have fewer bugs than the
>VHDL version.

Historical-Geographical reasons are very important here. Verilog USA / VHDL
Europe.

>* Market share. VHDL is generally found in academia, in Europe (but note
>that Verilog is very strong in Europe too) and for FPGA designs. For EDA
>vendors this means that the potential revenue for developing a VHDL
>version is quite slim. This is the main reason why Aart De Geus claimed
>that VHDL is dead.
>
>This all means that VHDL does not have industry support, neither from the
>major users and the major vendors. That's why Verilog is dominant and will
>continue to be.

I dont agree that Verilog is dominant everywhere. 100% of the companies and
Universities in my area uses VHDL. There are no Verilog seminars and all
the tools that the EDA vendors offer are for VHDL design.

>--
>Med vänlig hälsning, Yours
>
>Joachim Strömbergson - Alltid i harmonisk svängning.
>VP, Research & Development

Armando Astarloa Cuéllar - Universidad del Pais Vasco UPV/EHU
Tecnología Electrónica
Departamento de Electrónica y Telecomunicaciones
Escuela Superior de Ingenieros - Email: jtpascua@bi.ehu.es
Ald. de Urquijo s/n Tel.: 34 - 94 - 601 73 04
48013 BILBAO (SPAIN) Fax.: 34 - 94 - 601 42 59