Re: [ecc] Reed Solomon decoder

AJ Sahagun wrote:
> Hi Duane,
>
> Just curious, did your implementation not require any exponential/binary
> tables?  We did our own version of (255,223) RS in the past, and though we
> hardcoded our multipliers as you did, we still found the need for a few
> exponential/binary tables for division and exponentiation.  Did you use an
> implementation that required only GF addition and GF multiplication, or
> perhaps used a nifty technique for exponentiations and divisions?  It would
> be very interesting to know.

I have no exp/binary tables at all. I basically implemented a
syndrome/sugiyama/correction tower method, somewhat similar to that in
the Wicker/Bhargava book. That method requires only GF additions and
multiplications. This being an FPGA, I made it fully synchronous rather
than using the ripple method that is described in the document.