Re: [openppc] Apple Talk?

Alasdair Ferro wrote:
> To be more exact, they're both saying nothing, because they
> cannot legally deny the G5, as it appears on Mot's roadmap
> (and one part is available, the MPC8540 (I think), and
> listed on the web site).

That is correct.  Here are links to 8540 documents on Motorola's
web site.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,568_322_23,00.html
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8540&nodeId=03M943030450467M98655
http://e-www.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/docs/MPC8540FACT.pdf
http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/MPC8540E500RPT.pdf

This chip is intended for embedded applications, but IMHO it
would make a nice host for PPC-Linux.  The core runs at 600MHz
to 1GHz.  It includes a DDR memory controller, 64-bit PCI-X
bridge, dual gigabit ethernet, 10/100 ethernet, RapidIO, and
other goodies.  There is no AltiVec unit but it does have a
DSP unit that does 64-bit operations using the existing GP
registers.  The 8540 could be a glimpse at a future where North
bridges are integrated into the CPU.

--
Phil Harbison
mailto:alvitar@xavax.com