Re: [openrisc] just starting out

On Thursday 03 April 2003 02:07, mrmclean@cablespeed.com wrote:
> Well there is a lot of information here, but not a lot on how to get
> started using the core. My plan is to eventually target the .18um TSMC
> CMOS process, but I'd like to target a virtex part first. Is there make
> scripts or a project file somewhere? are there any samples programs
> already written - like a counter program to blink some lights? In the
> virtex part do you use block rams or sram off chip? My short term goal is
> to synthesize the core into an FPGA and verify its operation. Then I'll
> add peripherals and when the SOC is together and working properly
> target silicon. I know there are a lot questions here, but I really need to
> get started on the right foot as soon as possible. Thanks for the help!!

There are some already prepared SoCs with OpenRisc on the web. If I am not
mistaken they work with Xess board. Maybe you should try uCLinux or mp3
player. I think there should be already prepared libraries.

There is also orpmon, which is also very useful for making the board/system
work. E.g. you can blink leds with orpmon, however you will need to have GPIO
or any other similar device.

If you want to write simple test by yourself, you can download some uart
program or uart test and modify it by your needs.

good luck,
Marko