[pci] Re: PCI power, 3.3v compliant

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:08:33AM -0000, Paul McFeeters wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Absolutely correct, sorry didn't make myself too clear there. Should
> have been "5V isn't as big a concern as 3.3v is because if I don't support
> 3.3v then rumour has it that it won't be 66mhz compatible". To quote from
> the Xilinx PCI Customer Tutorial Page 53 "66MHZ PCI buses can only use 3.3v
> signaling". (I know signalling is the correct spelling but it is a quote!)

<nitpick>Then you'd put (sic) after the misspelt word which says the
same as the last sentence only much shorter.</nitpick>

> PS Anybody know why a 64bit data bus processor like the Pentium3+/Athlon
> family still use a 32bit PCI bus? More Intel backward compatibility?
> Come on Intel stop snoozing and start developing. (Just a little gripe)

I think the reason is cost and not compatibility (as you can put 64 bit
cards in 32 bit slots and vice versa).  The mass market customers don't
need it.  The pricey server mainboards do have those slots, after all.

Currently the only bandwidth hungry boards in the consumer market are
the graphics cards, and they have AGP to take care of that.  Until
people start connecting their desktops with Gig-Ethernet I don't think
we'll see the 64 bit slots spreading fast.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44