Re: [pci] Newcomer to PCI

Wow! Checked out that site and it was awsome. Thats exactly what i've been looking for. 275$ is affordable. Thanks!

I still probably need a PCI core though, no? The XILINX one is prohibitvely expensive. For this PCI core, i need to make my design Wishbone (sorry, not MBone...silly me) compatible, but will it then work with any PCI slot after installing my own drivers? If yes, then where can i get info on Wishbone?

Jazimme, thanks for the reply. Helped a bunch. I hope you woudn't mind if sent you a mail sometime and spared the poor people on this list yet another newbie mail... :)

Thanks

jazimme2@yahoo.com wrote:
Memec has a SpartanII pci development board for $275 with a webpack
cd and jtag cable.

http://www.insight-electronics.com/cgi-
bin/bvutf8/memec/scripts/local/mc_loc_b.jsp?
Div=INSIGHT&Reg=AMERICAS&Country=UNITED_STATES&Lang=EN&isDeta
ilPage=true&EDOID=200699&Manu=MD_XILINX

1. I dont' know if there is anything *that* simple. You might want to
look into QuickLogic parts. They have some development boards but I'm
not sure of the price or how to use them.

2. Make your design Wishbone Bus compatible and it will work with this
Opencores PCI core. You will still need to write your own driver
software.

3. Never heard of MBone...maybe someone else can help with that.

4. See above. The expensive boards would be easier to use though...

5. I assume you have a large amount of data to process...that's what a
PCI solution would be good at. There are any number of ways you
*could* do it, and lots of cheaper non-pci boards out there, but PCI is
probably the simplest solution right now for fast data transfer.

hope this helps a little.
j.