Re: [video] video decoder

Hi Mark,

You can refer to MPEG.org. Otherwsie, look into
www.videolocus.com, www.st.com, www.sony.com. Also checkup Swiss
Federal Institute of Technology and Berkeyley Multimedia Research
Center. The following are the steps of the MPEG decoding process
(Video):

1) Inverse encoding or Decoding of Runlength, Huffman, etc
coding
2) Inverse Quantization (Multiplication, as the quantization is
scalar)
3) IDCT (Inverse Discrete Cosine Transform)
4) Motion Compensation, without Motion Estimation

As you are a novice, I would recommend that you go through the
encoding part first, as only then you will catchup with the
decoding process. Also, you must know what Huffman, RLE etc are.
You can know about RLE, Huffman etc from JPEG.org. The decoding
process is just about the inverse of the encoding process, but
then, again you really need to know the encoding process.

I am working over a Motion Estimator (Encoding part) for MPEG-2. I
may help you there, if you want to know anything.

Regards,
Faheem Ahmed
INDIA

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 Mark Hunt wrote :
>Hi.
>
>Let me first state that I'm a complete novice wrt video
>compression techniques.
>
>I have a project needing MPEG decoding within a few months, so I
>downloaded the video_compression_systems tarball.
>
>Will the conversion from encoder to decoder be a simple task?
>
>Is anyone currently working on this?
>
>Also, can anyone tell me how the various modules join up, and
>where to find the necessary documentation for the MPEG2, MPEG4
>and H.xxx compression formats?
>
>As you can probably tell, I work on a practical rather than
>theoretical basis.
>
>I really need to get this design working, and I'm quite prepared
>to do the necessary hard work, but I'll probably need some help
>on the way ;-)
>
>Mark
>
>Mark Hunt
>b9 technology