Re: [oc] Wishbus Bus

Hello Winefred:

Non-existent addresses are handled by WISHBONE in a way that is similar to many
standard microcomputer buses.  That is, the MASTER that generates a bus cycle
receives an error signal that forces it to terminate the bus cycle.  The error
signal can be sourced by a participating SLAVE module, or from the bus
interconnection logic.

The actual method by which the [ERR_I] signal is generated is user defined.
However, it is commonly done in one of two ways:

1) A bus timer (i.e. a watchdog) monitors the common strobe [STB_O]
interconnection.  If the bus cycle takes too long (say, 16 microseconds), then
the error signal is asserted at the current MASTER.  The length of time is
defined by the system integrator.

2) An address decoder is designed so that all unused addresses force the
assertion of the error signal [ERR_I].  For example, if the top half of memory
isn't used, then all bus cycles to that area will generate an error.

What actually happens in response to this error is not defined by WISHBONE.
It's defined by the IP core at the MASTER end.  For example, in high-end
microprocessors the error signal will often generate a trap or fault condition
that allows some level of recovery.  However, low-end microprocessors might not
have any support for this at all, and will ignore the error signal.  In these
cases the system integrator may wish to do something else, like reset the whole
system.

Another thing to remember - IP cores designed to WISHBONE don't have to be used
only in a traditional Von Neumann architecture.  They can also be used as
endpoints in crossbar switch and data flow (e.g. FIFO coupled) architectures.
In those cases, both the failure mode(s) and the error handling mechanism is
going to be different.

As for time limits on transactions - they should never be standardized.  That's
because the system integrator is the best person to determine how long and when
an error should be generated.  For example, if a transaction is occuring between
a CPU and memory, then the time limit should be quite short.  However, if the
transaction is occuring across a bridge then it might take fairly long.

Wade D. Peterson
Silicore Corporation
6310 Butterworth Lane
Corcoran, MN  USA  55340
TEL: (763) 478-3567, FAX: (763) 478-3568