Re: [oc] I'd be happy to participate and answer WISHBONE relatedquestions.

Hello Rudi:

To the best of my knowledge nobody has done any good research on SoC bus market
share.  My feeling is that these buses are just too new to get any good data.
For example, both CoreConnect and WISHBONE were released on the same day in June
of '99 at the DAC show in New Orleans.  That's only about a year and a half ago,
and it takes some time to develop infrastructure and design wins.

In fact, we're pretty clueless about WISHBONE market share ourselves.  We
provide all of the materials free from our website, so there's no good way to
track usage or individual users.  However, I can tell you for sure that: (a)
both we and our clients are using the bus, (b) we routinely field questions from
people who are using or evaluating the technology (including companies like
Erickson and Siemens) and (c) on the average we deliver 3-5 copies of the
WISHBONE spec from our website everyday (30-40 when there are newsgroup
discussions and so forth).

We haven't done any direct comparisons between these buses ourselves. However,
we have compiled a list of all the SoC buses that we're aware of at:
http://www.silicore.net/uCbusum.htm.

Here are some things that I suggest you include on your comparisons:

1) Licensing arrangements.  Even though some companies don't charge for their
technology, they do make you sign a license agreement.  For example, we looked
at one of the companies on your list, and they had a license agreement that
stated that they could revoke our license at anytime, for (apparently) any
reason.  That was too much for us to accept, so we dropped the deal.  If we had
ever decided to compete with that company's own cores, then they probably would
have dropped us like a hot potato.  Too risky!

2) Choice of interconnection architecture.  If you follow the traditional
microcomputer bus industry, you'll find that the hottest technologies right now
are the crossbar switches.  We believe the same thing is happening in SoC.  We
arranged the 'zippers' in WISHBONE so an IP core can be used in a traditional
Von Neumann (like AMBA or CoreConnect), data flow (FIFO), or crossbar switch
architecture.  This gives the system integrator a lot more flexibility.

3) Ease of use.  I know this is somewhat subjective for your comparison, but
we've seen some good results from people who have used WISHBONE for the first
time.  For example, an engineer at one of our very good clients just did a
remarkable WISHBONE SoC on an FPGA.  He is an analog designer with limited FPGA
experience.  However, he just completed a design with 2 WISHBONE masters and 8
slaves.  He wrote all of his system components using AHDL (we had never done
that before), and fully tested everything as a system.  To me this was
vindication that both WISHBONE and SoC can be simple.  I'm also tickled that he
did his design using low cost tools on a desktop PC.  Pretty cool.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Wade D. Peterson
Silicore Corporation
6310 Butterworth Lane
Corcoran, MN  USA  55340
TEL: (763) 478-3567, FAX: (763) 478-3568