Re: [oc] Inquiry

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 07:48:58AM -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> You have just proven one of the points I made earlier:  Commercial
> users avoid Opencores because you need to be a legal expert in order
> to understand how they may and may not be used.  Good work!

slow down a touch here.
While an opencores license may be not clear, the restrictions on
commercial core licenses are also a limitation and not always clear.

(for example, what happens when the IP developed containing core X
 itself becomes a core?)

Which is perhaps why many cores are purchased outright or
internally reinvented.

> To make a Opencores relevant to anybody other than hobbyists and
> small-time support firms, I suggest that an Opencores licence with no
> restrictions (and no liability) be developed.  Anything other than
> that will just scare the typical corporate designer away.

BSD style does appear to fit here.

> Stuart

john