Re: [oc] Inquiry

On Thursday 08 May 2003 01:29 am, Marko Mlinar wrote:

> I think that any existing licence we choose, will have to be modified to HW
> needs.

Agree, wholeheartedly.
GPL doesn't even handle Java very well, compared to C/C++, because Java's
natively dynamic nature. The Java community wants to see a revised GPL
adjusted for Java, especially the "link to" concept.

> Furthermore we will need a central repository (probably a legal entity,
> like FSF) of (hand) signed contracts with developers and this central
> repository.

Yes, that sounds correct. All the successful OSS operates under a legal
entity, be it FSF, ASF and many more.

> I am quite confident that the above thinking is correct, so it is just a
> question who will do it ;)

I can imagine it is hard to get this going, and I think we, as a community,
should in such case seek help from people who have done this in the past. I
think, for instance, Apache Software Foundation would be interested to help
out, because OC is trying to establish "Open-Source Hardware" equivalent and
would be seen as a milestone.

Niclas