Re: [oc] Inquiry

On Thursday 08 May 2003 04:22 am, Rudolf Usselmann wrote:
> Sorry, slightly of topic ...

OC is a bit of fledgling community, and some off-topics should be allowed to
strengthen the community bonds. The overall traffic is fairly low here
(Apache Cocoon-Dev is ~100 mess per day).

> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 20:54, cyrano@nerim.net wrote:
> > > And I DON'T use Windows beyond the fact that ONE TOOL requires me to
> > > run it (Protel DXP). Everything else is executed in Linux, a paid for
> > > distribution from RedHat.
> >
> > I give a general statement. Beside that you use Windows, because you
> > don't have the choice (like me).
>
> Nico, we actually do have a choice. I have a small company,
> we are 100% Linux (RedHat). I have ONE notebook with Windoze
> NT to run Xilinx tool. Thats the only purpose for it. We do
> all administrative, publishing and of course design work on
> Linux. And there is a way to run the Xilinx tools on linux
> under wine, I just didn't have the time yet to set it up.

Many have problems with the Linux transition due to MS Office. I can't say
that OpenOffice is as good as MS, but if it is not a major task (I seldom
write documents), OO can do the basics more than well.
The second issue surrounding the same, is that your Contacts all send you MS
Office documents for you to comment on. It took me quite a while to teach
them; "Send me a PDF printout". For Excel, it is easy, since "You don't want
to give away your formulas, do you?", and Word will follow. The occassional
document coming, is handled well enough by OO.

> We do use however quite some expensive commercial Software
> packages on our Linux boxes.

We also use some very expensive software on the Linux machines, BUT they are
written in Java, and one of those developers has no explicit support for
running on Linux, the others have.

But then again, we are software developers (who should not get paid), and once
you get the hang of Shell Scripts, you can never go back to BAT files, they
are pathetic.

Niclas