Re: [oc] Verilog coding style for Open Cores-RTL - Case in point SHA1

On Monday 19 May 2003 08:17 am, Rudolf Usselmann wrote:
> Well, bad designers will be bad designers no matter how many
> Design Guidelines you throw at them.

Correct!!!

> Unfortunately there is a
> misconception that a design guide line will make bad code work
> better.

I agree.

> Most design Guidelines I have seen are really "Style" Guidelines.
> And styles are a matter of preference.

YES.
Style is a personal/company choice, a kind of preference settings, but now
enter Open Source communities, and another aspect comes into the picture.

If I open up a piece of code, the more familiar I am to that particular style,
the quicker I can understand what is going on.

If Sun Microsystems didn't publish the Java Style Guidelines, I doubt that the
OSS Java movement would be as strong as it is (there are still enough
permutations to start flamewars in communities).
The motivation is basically;

I spend some extra minutes to conform, saving multitude of that time EACH time
another developer looks at it.

And funny enough, after a short while, there is no extra effort. The community
agreed style, becomes my "native" style, and a harmonization among all
developers appears slowly.

The fewer people working on a particular piece of code, the less the benefits,
and THAT is probably OCs big challange. Cores are thrown in, and 'forgotten',
no evolution, and no community growing around the source.

Bottom line; I understand Rudi, "why bother, it slows me down, noone else does
it", but Good Designers in Numbers with Common styles can make Marvels!
All we others, are just still Bad Designers...

Niclas